Monday, January 27, 2014

Time Flies



We've all heard the expression, "Time flies when you are having fun!"

The older I get, the more I realize that time just flies . . . period.
A few weeks back I celebrated my 35th birthday. I know that a woman is never supposed to reveal her age (and I secretly hope that those who know me have fallen off their chairs in shock at this revelation), but hitting this milestone has had me thinking about time and how fleeting it really is. As a mother of 4, watching my children grow is just another reminder of how quickly life flies by. It feels like my youngest daughter Beaux was just born yesterday, and yet, here she is at almost 7 months old and she is starting to crawl and sit up. How does this happen?
It happens because time is a complex thing.

Time is free,
but it's priceless,
You can't own it,
but you can use it.
You can't keep it,
but you can spend it.
Once you've spent it
you can never get it back.
Life is so short and I don't want to miss a moment! This is true not just in the lives of my kids, but in my life as a believer and follower of Jesus.

The Bible is full of verses about time and how we are expected to use it.
Ephesians 5:15-17 says, "Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is."
Ultimately, we don't know what the future holds or how many days we have to walk on this earth. James 4:14 reminds us, "Yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes."
But one day is as a thousand years with the Lord! II Peter 3:10-12d says, "The day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed. Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God."
We are expected to wait for the coming day of the Lord with great anticipation, and yet, we are to live the days He allows us pursuing holiness and godliness. What does that look like in your life? How can you pursue holiness and godliness in your home? In your job? With your friends?

Time is precious and we know it flies (no matter how old you are), so let us grab hold of each moment and make the best use of the time we are given.

No comments:

Post a Comment