Tuesday, January 8, 2013

When It Rains It Pours (And Sometimes Floods)

by Meridith Borta
Elementary Principal


I would bet that we are all fairly familiar with the little quip “when it rains it pours”. Most could probably readily recall times where a chain of events has made them feel like they are in the middle of a downpour with no reprieve in sight. Ah, yes. Travel with me as I relay, not so fondly, the latest super storm to hit the Borta household.

Drizzle
It was time. I could no longer put off the repairs that my car so desperately needed. I was hesitant to take the car in knowing that the repairs could be costly. However, with the air suspension failing each morning, I was literally bouncing down the road in my car, holding on to the steering wheel for dear life. It was so severe I almost started wearing my hat backwards and blasting music as loud as possible to fit in with the gangstas who do this to their cars on purpose. I finally settled on a repair shop and crossed my fingers. It would have been too easy for the car to just be fixed and for that to be that. After spending $750 on the repair, I got a call that there was a bigger problem that would cost an additional $1850. Everyone has that lying around right before Christmas, right? Thus began the car saga that has yet to be resolved. That’s right. You may still have the privilege of seeing me bouncing down the road if you are lucky enough to cross my path on a given morning. Don’t be offended if I attempt to hide my face.

Sprinkle
Maybe it was stress-induced or maybe it is a hazard of working with little ones day in and day out, but it was my turn to catch the cold that keeps on giving. It was nothing big, but making itself at home in my nasal passages on the last week of school before the Christmas break was not quite appreciated. I powered through though and even continued with my training schedule for the half marathon I’ve been preparing for. (Don’t ask me why I have continued to train for this half marathon even after receiving the unexpected news of a 4th little Borta on the way in early July. People say that once you start running you fall in love with it. I must be missing some vital piece of this puzzle since I can honestly say that running 4 miles at 5am in 35 degree weather—and with a cold to boot--has never once invoked a feeling of love.)  The weight of the world and the various items I was collecting on my plate were getting a little heavy.  

Rain (or should I say flood . . . literally)
Christmas break was so close I could taste it. With the cold and sinus infection making its exit none too soon, I was looking forward to having time to relax and enjoy some peace and quiet at home. It came as quite a shock on that Friday morning (the last day before the break) when we came downstairs to find water coming out of our walls and up through our wood flooring (that we laid less than a year ago and were paying off THIS month). Little did I realize that the sound of someone cutting into our walls four days before Christmas was just the opening act to the headlining show—the industrial fans that would turn our house into a wind tunnel for the next five days. Surely God was trying to teach us something, but what? As we headed out of town the day after Christmas, the workers moved in to tear out walls and our beloved floors.  We couldn't wait to return home to see what Santa’s helpers had left us! As we were told though, it could have been much worse.

Downpour
Of course things can always be worse. We know it in our heads, but we don’t usually anticipate that things actually will. We just knew God was going to work things out and we praised God for the joys we were able to experience during the holidays. What else could possibly happen? The first mistake was asking.

Paul and I came down with some mutant cold/flu that knocked us flat on New Year’s Eve and we rang in the New Year (at 8pm) with a box of tissues and a lot of fever-reducing medication. Life doesn't stop when you are sick though, right? We had big plans. In hindsight, maybe the decision to keep our plans and take the kids to the snow the next day may not have been the best idea. But how harmful could a shopping trip to Walmart be?

We realized soon after starting our shopping adventure that it was going to go downhill fast. Cadynce was starting to get sick and the other girls were tired, so I decided to take one for the team, send Paul home with the kids, and I would just shop by myself and get it done. There I was, perusing the spices, when the call came. “Honey, how is our insurance? I just hit someone.” That was the straw that broke the camel’s back. As I stood there in disbelief, trying not to have a total breakdown in the middle of the Walmart aisle, I finally had to laugh. “LORD, REALLY?”

Each of you could probably share a story similar to mine. All of us have had those times in our lives where we wonder what God is doing.  What else can possibly go wrong? Lord, what is your plan in all of this?

Sorry, everyone. I don’t have the answers, but I know a God who does. I have a car that is not fixed, holes in my kitchen walls, wood floors that are ripped up, a car with a crunched bumper, and a lingering cough that won’t quit. I don't have the solutions to each of the things I’m dealing with or know why they seem to have come upon me all at once. But God has a plan and purpose. We may not know what that plan or purpose is, but our confidence is in Him, His goodness, and ultimately His love for us. I know who is in control and I know that He will work all these things for good. 


Proverbs 19:21 ESV - Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.

Jeremiah 29:11 ESV - For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

The next time the rains are coming down as the floods are coming up, check to make sure your house is built on the rock and you can be sure it will stand firm. 

Matthew 7:24-25 (NIV) - Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment