Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Olympic Lessons Learned



What is it about the Olympics that draws us in and compels us to set our DVRs? Why do we hear the
Olympic theme song and well up with pride for our country and athletes? I don’t think it is the events themselves. In fact, I would venture to guess that most of us have watched little if any ice skating, speed skating, slope style, luge, or curling over the last 2 years. Yet, if you are like our family, the Olympics have become our “go to” show during dinner and in the evenings.

I am struck by the number of life lessons that can be learned in just one evening of Olympic competition. Every evening seems to be filled with stories of sportsmanship, patriotism, teamwork, and discipline.  In a day and age where most of the programs on television are inappropriate for my young children, I love that they can rally behind an event that in my opinion stands for something special. I know that with each Olympics comes some controversy, but there is the opportunity to stand together to cheer on our fellow man. The commercials alone are enough to bring you to tears and well up with pride at the stories of determination and perseverance. 

My girls are getting to see the agony of defeat and the sweet thrill of victory. They are getting to see that sometimes, things aren’t fair. People can work all of their lives chasing a dream that never comes true. They can also spend their lives chasing a dream that is finally realized despite all of the obstacles in their way.  We find ourselves routing for the underdog, crying for the heartbroken, cringing at the crashes, and cheering for the victors. 

And yes, lessons can still be learned from the athletes that don’t display the levels of sportsmanship we would hope to see. 
 
The Blame Gamers – those who try to point the finger and blame the weather, the slope, the other competitors, or anything else they can to help navigate the disappointment. 

The Entitled – those who think they deserve it more than everyone else and aren’t happy with any medal but the gold. 

The Havic Hopefuls – those who secretly (or openly) hope that the other team will fall, get hurt, or make a mistake that will give them the advantage. 

God created each of these athletes with amazing abilities. Whether they are using their gifts for God’s glory or their own, we are reminded that God has called each of us as believers to run the race to receive the prize. 

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

2 Timothy 2:5
Similarly, if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victor's crown unless he competes according to the rules.

I know I will never win an Olympic medal, but I am fully confident that my prize will be far greater! I may never stand on the podium in front of millions of people and hear the National Anthem play, but I look forward to that amazing day when I will sing with the angels in the presence of my KING!

No comments:

Post a Comment