Tuesday, November 26, 2013

'Tis the season . . . for sickness . . . tra la la la la la la la la



Please tell me that my household is NOT the only one that has been hammered by an endless barrage of sickness lately. I don’t know why it would give me comfort to know that others are sick too, but the validation of knowing that it’s not just me makes me feel a little better. Hand sanitizer and Airborne have been no match for what we’ve been fighting in our household and not only has discouragement and exhaustion crept in, but an overall sadness at seeing my little ones (and husband) in misery. 

Our family of six has passed around various strains of stomach flu, sore throats, fevers, and other undesirable symptoms and no one has been immune. Each morning seems to be a new conversation about who is sick and who needs to stay home. No one can afford to miss work, so we end up saying things like “Well, I’ve already missed 4 days this month,” or “Maybe you can go to work for half a day and then I can go to work the rest of the day.” Can you relate to the stress and frustration? I haven’t even mentioned how behind the kids get in school by just missing a couple of days. 


In the midst of the sickness storm last week, I jokingly told Mrs. Smith and Mr. B. that my theme verse for the week was Proverbs 4:8, “Entering her house leads to death; it is the road to the grave.” I’m fully aware that this usage of the verse is out of context, but it surely expresses what I’ve been feeling lately. 

I sat down to write this blog on a mission to find encouragement and hope for our family's current health situation. What amazing comfort there is in God's Word! Ultimately, I know that God is in control and there is a season for everything. If you or your family has been dealing with sickness as mine has and you are feeling discouraged, I pray you find hope in the following verses.  

Isaiah 40:29-31

He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. 

Psalm 23:1-6 
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. ... 

Psalm 91:1-16 

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, ... 

I don't know how long this season of sickness will last. I DO know, however, that I will keep these verses close to my heart and sanitizer close to my hands.  

In the words of John in III John 1:2,

“Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul.”



No comments:

Post a Comment