Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Where is the Hope?

by Jennie Smith 
Secondary Assistant Principal

One of my favorite novels to read and to teach is Alexander Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo.  At the end of this classic, the main character tells the reader "Live, then, and be happy, beloved children of my heart, and never forget that until the day when God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words - wait and hope."

I've been thinking a lot about hope lately.  As is true for many Christians living out their lives in this world, I have recently faced a season of adversity which just last week included the death of my beloved Grammie.  Many times I would hear from those comforting me that I have hope to see her again or I don't grieve as one with no hope.

My Gram often proclaimed God's truth into my life.  One of her last with me was on the topic of hope.  I was asking her to pray about one of my trials and explained to her my disappointment saying, "I didn't just lose out on an opportunity - I lost hope in changing these circumstances."  We hung up the phone, and it wasn't long before she called me back.  She pointed out to me that, in this trial, I was putting my hope in the wrong location. Opportunities, circumstances, even people will disappoint me if I put my hope in them.  My hope can only reside in the One who never disappoints.

The Scriptures are full of encouragement to put our hope in the right place:

Psalm 31:24  "Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord."

Psalm 33:20  "We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and shield."

Psalm 42:11  "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God."

Isaiah 40:31  "...but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."


Psalm 62:5 "Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him."
Lamentations 3:25 "The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him..."
Micah 7:6 "But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me."

Look how much we gain from placing our hope in the Lord!  We can be strong, receive help and protection, have our strength renewed so that we can run this race without becoming weary.  We receive rest for our souls, He hears us and He is good.  What victorious promises those are!  In the trials you are facing today, where does your hope lie?  May you too be encouraged from the words of my Gram...Put your hope in the Lord alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment