Monday, March 25, 2013

Just Keep Digging



As someone who accepted Jesus Christ as a child, I could arguably claim that I have a firm grasp of Scripture. In my 34 church-going years, I have heard and rediscovered the stories contained in the pages of the Bible, studied the various themes throughout, and spent years listening to sermons, attending small groups, and working my way through all sorts of devotionals and Bible studies. Over the years, I have taught Bible lessons in various forums, memorized Scripture, participated in debates and discussions about Biblical topics, and read the Bible cover to cover.  And yet, the more I dig and study, the more I discover how much there is still left to learn about God’s holy and inspired Word. I still find myself saying, “I don’t remember that being in there” or “Have I read that before?”

There are very few books that I have ever read more than once in my life. Regardless of how much I love a certain book, I rarely return to it. For one, books are time-consuming. I would rather invest those hours of my life exploring a new world rather than return to one I already know. And yet, I always find the Bible is the greatest exception to this unspoken, self-imposed rule. No matter how many times I read a passage, God’s goodness and love and faithfulness and mercy and grace hold some greater measure of understanding and application than they did before.  That is what makes the Bible so unique and what allows God’s Word to be living and active in our lives. 

Just recently, a series called “The Bible” has been airing on the History Channel. This series has received world-wide acclaim. There are churches that are not only encouraging their congregations to watch it, but hosting “viewing parties” for their members. As one that can be a bit skeptical about Hollywood’s “take” on Biblical events, I was interested to watch and discern what aspects were true and which were fabricated for entertainment purposes. What a great challenge it has been to test what I really know and use my Bible as a tool to verify or dispute the movie’s portrayals. 

Some scholars have devoted their whole lives to reading and studying God’s Word. Let's face it. It is easy sometimes to get intimidated by others who know so much more than we do. We may be tempted to just leave the studying and the digging to them. Let us not be satisfied with just knowing the stories. Let us ask questions and dig deeper ourselves.  What an amazing journey we are missing out on if we do not make this effort, asking God to give us wisdom and understanding as we read.   

James 1:5 says, “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.”

I Corinthians 2:10, “These are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.”

Whether you have been a Christian for many years or whether the Word of God is a new world you are just beginning to explore, I hope you are struck anew, as I am, at how much there is still left to learn.  May it be the desire of your heart, as it is mine, to jump in and dig deeper, and see what God will show you.

No comments:

Post a Comment