Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Bloom

by Meridith Borta, Elementary Principal
A few years ago, I found myself in a really tough place in my life. I didn’t know what God was doing and why He had decided to put me where He had me. Nothing seemed to make sense and I didn’t know how anything good was going to come out of my circumstances. I knew God was in control and I knew that He would work all things for His purpose, but I couldn’t help but feel like I was out of place and alone in my trials.
It was during that time that I was scheduled to present a devotion to our school staff during orientation week. Ah yes, this was just the right time to unload on a fresh bunch of teachers the hardships and frustrations I was facing. Okay, obviously I wanted to avoid doing that at all costs. However, I also didn’t want to put on a happy face and pretend that everything was butterflies and rainbows. So I took a chance--I decided to be transparent and open up to the staff about what God was doing in my life, in the off-chance (I say that sarcastically) that maybe someone else in the room was going through a hard time too. Of course, I wasn’t the only one! 
Being a Christian does not mean life is going to be easy. I recently heard a pastor say, “Without test, there is no testimony.” James 1:2-4 says. "Consider it pure joy my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
Thankfully, my devotion to the teachers that day and the discussion that followed was not a “woe is me” session. In preparation for my time of sharing, I came across a poem that I have come to think about quite often over the years. It really challenged the teachers that day, and time and time again God has used it to challenge me to trust Him in my circumstances.
“Bloom Where You are Planted”
Master Gardener, help me be
Content with where You’ve planted me;
You carefully place each seed you sow,
And choose the soil to make it grow,
A shady nook or sunlit plot,
A wooded glen or garden spot;
And when you send the storm and shower,
You give me strength and inner power;
All things come that You might be
Glorified, my God, in me;
And so I’ll lift my flowers high,
To cheer and bless each passerby;
And may they see within my face
The beauty of Your love and grace;
So help me, Lord, to ever be
Blooming where You planted me.
—Wm. Claire Greiner
Wow! What a sweet reminder it was that I need to be content wherever God places me. I believe we are called to more than just being content though. I felt this poem spoke loud and clear . . . Don’t just survive where you are planted . . . BLOOM!
Think of the flowers in the sidewalk. Have you ever seen them growing up through the cracks in the most unlikely places? Those flowers are blooming despite the fact they are seemingly out of place. I think of Daniel in the Bible. He found himself in some very extreme circumstances and yet, God granted him the ability not just to survive, but to thrive in the most unlikely places. A well? Slavery? Prison? How did he deal with it all? Well, Daniel had some extremely strong roots. In Daniel 1:8 we find that Daniel “purposed in his heart” that he would be faithful to God’s commands. I imagine that Daniel felt like that flower in the sidewalk at times, but we see clearly that God provided him opportunities in the midst of his circumstances to bless others and glorify God in his actions. The tests Daniel endured resulted in an amazing testimony of God’s faithfulness.
I look back at that time of my life now and can rejoice in the testimony of God’s faithfulness in my life. In whatever circumstances I find myself in, no matter how hard, dark, or lonely, I remember that God has carefully planted me there. He may plant me in the sidewalk. He may send the storms and the showers. But it is the desire of my heart to lift my flowers high and reflect God’s grace and love to those I come in contact with.
I hope that this blog has been an encouragement to you. If you are going through a tough time right now, remember to trust the Lord and know that even in those shady spots, you are always in His hand. Don’t just survive where you are planted . . . BLOOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment